The Newburgh Museum opened five years ago. It’s located on the first floor of the Old Newburgh Presbyterian Church. The museum displays artifacts of historical value pertaining to the town’s early history. It features a main exhibit that changes a few times a year. For example, the museum’s Christmas exhibit remains on display until Dec 31, 2017. This exhibit is an artistic display of five famous Christmas carols. One of our favorite parts is the turn-of-the century scene depicting outdoor carolers in period attire.
Westerners first explored the area during the 17th century. Before that, the Shawnee inhabited the area. Even earlier, prehistoric Mississippians lived in the area as late as the 15th century. The Newburgh Museum preserves the early years of its history. During the early settlement, the town enjoyed great prosperity. By the mid 1800’s, coal mining further increased the areas prosperity and helped grow the town into a regional riverport. In 1862, it became the first town north of the Mason-Dixon line to be captured by Confederate forces. This raid convinced the Union Army to send forces to Indiana. In the 1920’s the construction of the Lock and Dam 47 brought some prosperity back to the town’s economy. Later, in the 1950’s, it also benefited economically from the arrival of the Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA). These days, the historic area is protected by Newburgh’s Historic Preservation District.
Newburgh Museum Hours
The Newburgh Museum and its historical artifacts can be viewed on Friday and Saturday afternoons from 11-3 throughout the year. Plus, during the holiday season, it’s open from 1-4 on Sundays. Residents can take tours to learn more about the area’s history by appointment also. The Newburgh Museum is conveniently located at 2 West Main Street right in town. The museum is free to the public, but they gladly accept donations.