How to Choose the Right Home Builder in Indiana
The best place to start builder-shopping is on the Internet. While you can get a good feel for a builder by scanning the company’s “About” or “Mission” pages, you can get a better look at how they operate by reading online reviews on Yelp, Google and other sites. Once you find a few builders that you’re interested in contacting, it’s always a good idea to check with the Better Business Bureau to make sure there aren’t any unresolved consumer complaints.
Because you and your builder will be working together for some time, you definitely want a good fit… and that’s where the next step comes in.
Builder Interviews: What You Need to Know
You’ll need to interview potential builders to make sure that you share the same vision. Be prepared to ask several questions, including:
- How will you ensure we stay within the budget as the build progresses?
- How long have you been in business?
- Have you built a home like mine before?
- How long will construction take?
- How will you communicate issues that arise?
- What happens if we need to change the plan, our costs change or the timeline stretches out?
- How do you vet the quality of your subcontractors?
You’ll also want to find out about the builder’s home warranty policy.
Maintaining Good Communication
If you interview a handful of potential builders, you’ll probably find that one stands out among the others. The best combination of experience with similar projects, qualified subcontractors and ease of communication will pay off.
Are You Ready to Move?
Before you start shopping for the best builder in Indiana, it’s a good idea to explore areas you might like to live in — that way you can get a feel for what properties are available and how much you’ll need to spend.